Frequently Asked Questions


 Where is the City Office and what are the office hours?

The City Office is located on 4th floor of the Haakon County Courthouse, 140 S. Howard Ave, Philip, SD.

Office Hours: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
(Monday - Friday)



 What is the garbage collection schedule?

Garbage is collected every Thursday--residents shall have their garbage ready for pickup by 5:00 a.m. (If the Thanksgiving or Christmas Day holiday falls on a Thursday, garbage will be collected the day before. This will be posted on CodeRED and website calendar.)


 Do I need a building permit for replacing siding & windows?

No. These are considered maintenance items. See more information under Planning & Zoning.


 At what point is a snow emergency declared?

A snow removal emergency exists whenever there is a snow accumulation on public property as defined in Ord. #7-101(a) of four inches (4”) or more of falling or drifting snow. No person shall park or allow to remain parked any motor vehicle or trailer on Pine Street and Wray Avenue for 48 hours or until such time as the street has been cleared of snow.

The Public Works Director (or designated representative) will declare a SNOW REMOVAL ALERT. The public will be notified of the alert via CodeRED and the City's website. At that time, parking restrictions will go into effect.

Violators will be ticketed a parking violation fine as established in Resolution #2001-03 by the City Council. Any vehicle or trailer parked in violation is declared a nuisance and shall be towed at the owner’s expense if not removed within twenty-four (24) hours of being ticketed.


 Who do I contact for a special events or peddler license?

City Office at 605-859-2175